A network is an essential part of modern business operations. It connects multiple devices and peripherals together so everyone in the office can use the same resources. The good news, according to the experts on IT support West Palm Beach businesses trust, is that today's plug and play features make setting up a business network easy.
Know What You Need
You need to know what you need before you can set up a network. Consider these four things:
- Determine the number of devices that will need to access the network. Be sure to include all smart devices, laptops, computers, servers, and peripherals.
- Know what kind of files and data you will need to store and share across the network.
- Ascertain the applications that you will be using and their network needs
- Decide if employees will have the option of getting on the network remotely or with personal devices.
Go Wireless or Not?
Wireless access has become almost standard in some offices. There's no need to plug in a network cable in order to get access to the files, applications, or data that you need. It isn't perfect, however. It can drop connection when too many devices try to gain access. It can also be a security weak point.
Wired networks offer better speed and reliability compared to wireless ones. The inconvenience of finding a network hookup is a trade-off for better security.
Get the Hardware
The basic equipment you will need to get connected is a router. You can get one from your Internet provider or purchase one on your own.
If there's any place you want to put your money, it's in a high-quality commercial router, according to the experts on IT support West Palm Beach companies trust for their network needs. A commercial router offers more features including fine network traffic control, intrusion detection and built-in anti-virus software. Most commercial routers also offer a wireless network option.
Secure Your Network
The final step is to secure your network. Today's business world is under attack from hackers around the globe. You need to be proactive in securing your digital network. Here are a few things to consider:
- Passwords should be long and complex.
- Set network logins and passwords for each user.
- Enable firewall barriers and wireless encryption.
- Put the router in a secure location.
Setting up a business network is easier than ever before. However, it's not always something a business owner wants to tackle. Contact us at Nexxen Technologies for assistance. We are the experts on IT support West Palm Beach companies trust with all their network needs.